Using a French press, also known as a coffee plunger, coffee press or cafetière, is a simple and effective way to brew a delicious cup of coffee. Here are the steps to follow:
- Begin by heating water to approximately 200°F (93°C).
- While the water is heating, grind your coffee beans to a coarse consistency. A general rule of thumb is to use about 1 ounce (28 grams) of coffee per 4 ounces (120 mL) of water.
- Place the coffee grounds in the bottom of the French press.
- Once the water has heated, pour it over the coffee grounds in the French press. You may bloom the coffee for added flavor.
- Allow the coffee to steep for about four minutes.
- Press the plunger down slowly to separate the coffee grounds from the brewed coffee.
- Pour the brewed coffee into your cup and enjoy!
It’s important to note that the brewing time and the amount of coffee and water used can be adjusted to your personal taste preferences. Experiment with different ratios and brewing times to find the perfect cup for you.